Hybrid and digital scrapbookers tend to readily acquire new fonts for stylish and beautiful journaling. Unfortunately very large font libraries can cause programs like Photoshop Elements to slow down, particularly upon loading. Users with a ton of extra RAM (4GB or more) may not experience any lags, but it can certainly affect the average scrapbooker.
The best way to address this challenge is selective activation of fonts via a font management tool. The primary function of these software utilities is the creation of collections or groups for ease of batch activation/de-activation. Most also allow sorting and renaming of fonts for easier discovery as well as quick font testing for creative purposes.
Options for Font Management
- Linotype Font Explorer X: a free utility for PC or Mac (Pro version $79)
- Font Book: a free utility that comes standard with Mac OS X 10.3+
- Font Thing: a free utility for PCs operating Windows up to Vista/7
- Font Expert: a premium font manager for PCs only ($59)
- AMP Font Viewer: a free utility for PCs operating Windows up to Vista/7
Have you used one of these tools before? Which is your favorite and why?