This is a digital scrapbooking blog, yes, but about 1/4 of you do some sort of work which you call “hybrid”. I wanted to spend just a little bit of time introducing the concept of hybrid scrapbooking to those who may not be familiar.
What is hybrid scrapbooking?
Hybrid scrapbooking combines the use of a computer with traditional scrapping supplies like paper, scissors and glue. There are many ways you can “do hybrid”, including:
- Altering a photo in Photoshop (particularly artistic changes) and printing for use in a paper layout
- Typing and printing your journaling for a paper-scrapped page
- Scanning a piece of memorabilia and printing to use on a paper-scrapped page
- Printing out digital elements, cutting and attaching using traditional scrapbook or craft methods
- Creating a digital layout, printing and adding additional physical embellishments
Hybrid can be any or all of these things at once. It is a way to combine the best of digi (flexibility, details) and paper (tangible craftiness)!
Examples of hybrid projects
Tips for hybrid projects
- Invest in a great color printer for the best results
- Always use photo-safe papers and adhesives
- Try your hand at 8×8 layouts for easy full-bleed printing
- Dig out that forgotten paper cutter for no-fuss trimming
- Use copies of original photos to avoid losing precious memories
- Remember the designer’s TOU if you’re doing scrap for hire/others
Resources for hybrid scrappers
- The Hybrid Chick blog (affiliated with The Digi Chick shop)
- Jessica Sprague’s introduction to hybrid
- A great tip on using CBS’s photo center for hybrid
- An extensive hybrid Q&A w/ Julie Ann Shahin
- A fun project from Prima
In looking at some of these projects, I am craving some hands-on time with my misplaced glue stick. I love how hybrid adds another level of creativity, while retaining a lot of the flexibility perfectionism of digital. What do you think of hybrid? For those who love hybrid, what are some tips to keep it simple?
Need a creative boost?
You’ll feel more inspired and productive when you try this unconventional approach to scrapbook albums. Learn how in our exclusive PDF guide.