I knew before I was even pregnant that I wanted to take the first photos of my baby. I’m not a pro by any means, but I wanted to have that experience of capturing my little one in all her newness. I studied up, ensured I had a white fluffy blanket at hand, and planned on snapping the pics between 4 and 10 days after birth. Here’s what I learned:
- Be patient, it might take a couple sessions to get a good shot.
- Keep shooting (or try continuous mode) to catch the best looks.
- Some newborns dislike being on their tummies without much incline.
- Don’t forget to make sure the eyes are in focus.
- Plan to photograph baby when she is contented, but not likely to fall asleep.
- Because personally I think closed-eye baby photos look a little creepy.
- You might reconsider nude photos if your babe has a full body newborn rash.
- Choose neutral outfits that will not distract from the baby’s face.
- Save some of those baby-item boxes to serve as your backdrop.
Do you have any tips for photographing newborns?